Reminder - San Elijo Lagoon

  • CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2004

      San Elijo Lagoon

      Date: Sunday, December 12, 2004
      Time: 8:00AM - 12:00PM PST (GMT-08:00)

      San Elijo Lagoon is located in San Diego county near Solano
      Beach. It is one of the last remaining tidal lagoons unspoiled
      by development in southern California. The lagoon itself is
      large and has a variety of vegetation around it. There are 2
      trails we may use to explore the area: one goes down to the
      shore of the lagoon to give us an up close view of the
      shorebirds & waterfowl; the other skirts the side of the lagoon,
      providing opportunities to search for gnatcatchers, raptors,
      flycatchers, & other species. The trip will be led by Steve
      Brad, a former Sea & Sage member, who now lives in Encinitas.

      DIRECTIONS: Drive south on the San Diego Frwy. past Carlsbad to
      Solano Beach; exit on Lomas Santa Fe. Drive west less than a
      mile to Rios Ave, and turn right. Go all the way to the end of
      the street & park along the side. We will meet at the end of the
      street. Bring binocs & a scope if you have one. Trip will end at
      12 noon. (Nearest restroom facilities are at the Solano Beach
      train station which you will drive past on your way to the
      trailhead.) Those interested can eat at one of the nearby
      restaurants. (This field trip is sponsored by Sea & Sage
      Audubon.)

      Steve Brad, Leader
      Nancy Kenyon, Trip Coordinator (949) 786-3160; kenyon@...