An possible hybrid white goose

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
      There is currently an interesting white goose at Crespi Pond, Pt. Pinos,
      Monterey County. My initial "no bins" take was Ross's, but when viewed
      through binoculars it was apparent there was a significant grin patch.
      Rita and I found this bird 4 Dec, and each time we see it our impression
      remains the same: it may be a potential hybrid or introgressant between
      the two, but quite different than a previous potential hybrid on Crespi
      in 1990.

      I have now posted a full photo discussion at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/hybgoose.html

      See what you think.

      Don Roberson
      Pacific Grove CA
    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
        Hi Don,

        You've raised a subject that a few of us discussed last year in the context
        of these "Blue" Ross' Geese. Here's a photo (apologies to the lists for not
        being able to receive the attachment) of one of these dark, small geese that
        I photographed last month at Sacramento NWR. It's not the sharpest photo,
        but check out the size of the bill, the grin patch and the shape of the
        'process.' I believe that it fits your analysis for an intermediate.

        This bird was not colored typically for a Black Ross' Goose (white, rather
        than black neck), but the size and the bill made me think of Ross' rather
        than Snow.

        See what you think.

        Thanks to all your work on this -- it's great stuff.

        Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
        ron@...
        707/839-0900
        Cell 707/496-3326
        Fax 839-0867
        www.madriverbio.com
        Mad River Biologists
        1497 Central Avenue
        McKinleyville, CA 95519

        There is currently an interesting white goose at Crespi Pond, Pt. Pinos,
        Monterey County. My initial "no bins" take was Ross's, but when viewed
        through binoculars it was apparent there was a significant grin patch.
        Rita and I found this bird 4 Dec, and each time we see it our impression
        remains the same: it may be a potential hybrid or introgressant between
        the two, but quite different than a previous potential hybrid on Crespi
        in 1990.

        I have now posted a full photo discussion at
        http://montereybay.com/creagrus/hybgoose.html

        See what you think.

        Don Roberson
        Pacific Grove CA