RFI for visting birder from UK

  • Paul Marshall
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2004
      Dear All,

      I'm after some help from Californian birders. I am organising a trip for myself and three friends to Southern California in the last few days of March and first half of April.

      The plan is to go no further north than a line drawn from Morro Bay to Tecopa. None of us have birded the western US before (all of us have been to Florida and Texas) so will be looking for Californian specialities and a nice mix of west coast birds and migrant waterbirds and passerines.

      Brad Schram's book (the ABA guide) has been invaluable in planning the trip but I am after some more detailed information on some of our target species. If anybody could email me answers to any/all of the questions below I would be very grateful.

      1. What are the most reliable sites for the four difficult thrashers (Sage, Bendire's, Crissal and Le Conte's)?

      2. What are (if there are any) the most reliable sites (at the time of year we shall be visiting) for the following species:
      Ferruginous Hawk
      Prairie Falcon
      Lewis's Woodpecker
      Williamson's Sapsucker
      American Dipper
      Tricolored Blackbird
      Lawrence's Goldfinch
      California Gnatcatcher

      3. Will Gray's Vireo have returned by this early date and if so are there any 'reliable' sites in the state?

      Also, any general information on the best (most productive and scenic) desert and mountain areas to visit would be great.

      Many, many thanks in advance for any help recieved.

      Best wishes

      Paul

      Paul Marshall
      Bristol, United Kingdom