Reminder - Winter Birds of the Northern Desert, Har...

  • CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004

      Winter Birds of the Northern Desert, Harper Dry Lake area

      Date: Saturday, December 4, 2004
      Time: 8:00AM - 2:00PM PST (GMT-08:00)

      (This field trip is sponsored by Sea & Sage Audubon.) Although
      this trip has traditionally concentrated on the Harper Dry Lake
      area, the demise of agriculture in that region forces a change
      if we are to see many birds. So we'll begin with the farming
      area around Daggett, where there are many wintering hawks; then
      take a turn around Harper for the desert and saltbush birds
      there, and return through Silver Lakes on Old 66. DIRECTIONS:
      We�ll meet first in Barstow; follow I-15 toward Vegas and
      exit on E. Main St., where you should get gas. I'll be eating
      breakfast at IHOP (left on East Main) by 7:30; you might want to
      join me there. We�ll assemble in the large parking lot
      behind the IHOP at 8:00, then caravan north on 40 to the alfalfa
      fields. Late comers (shame!) can catch up about one mile south
      on Harvard. Follow the dirt road onto the first irrigated field
      on the left; we will travel along the south edge of it for our
      first stop. WE CAN EXPECT Ferruginous and Red-tailed Hawks
      here, with a good chance of Prairie Falcon, Golden Eagle,
      Northern Harrier, and a mix of water birds, Great Basin
      migrants, and some desert endemics. BE PREPARED for a chilly
      morning and a breezy day; bring drinks, snacks, and lunch.
      Scopes if you have them; others will share if you don�t.
      FRS radios would be extremely helpful, so that we can
      communicate while driving [use 11 - 22]. The region is
      confusing; if you want to return to bird this area on your own,
      I recommend you get the AAA map of San Bernardino County to mark
      up. Barstow is about two hours north of Orange Co. on the 55-
      91-15 route. Ferocious winds or dreadful events will cancel.

      Doug Toohey, Leader
      Nancy Kenyon, Trip Coordinator
      (949) 786-3160; kenyon@...