Two interesting gulls at Nimbus Fish Hatchery (American River) today

  • Martin Meyers
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2004
      Jon Dunn led a Central Valley Birding Symposium fieldtrip to Nimbus Dam
      today. There were lost of nice gulls to study, but two unusual ones deserve
      considerable further study. The first was a dark-backed Herring Gull (or
      something close to that). It was an adult. Back color was similar to
      California Gull, but the bird had yellow eyes, pink legs. It was similar in
      size to nearby Herring Gulls.

      The second bird was a bird showing some characteristics of a "Kumlien's"
      Iceland Gull. It appeared late in the morning after several participants
      had left.

      I have posted photos of both birds on my website:
      http://home.mindspring.com/~meyersm

      Go the Sacramento Valley page.

      Unfortunately, I had to leave for work shortly after the pale gull was
      spotted -- in fact, I was on my way back to the car when Jon yelled out to
      me to get back. I was only able to get a few shots, and unfortunately, only
      one shows the head. That particular photo makes the head shape and bill
      appear rather largish -- that was not the impression when viewing the actual
      bird. (I assume I stayed on the same bird throughout. Things were happening
      pretty quickly.) Hopefully someone who stayed later got better photos.

      Both birds were just downstream from the hatchery, a bit past the two ponds.

      Martin

      *
      * Martin Meyers
      * CSUS Computer Science Department