Reminder - Program on BLACK SKIMMERS

  • CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2004

      Program on BLACK SKIMMERS

      Date: Friday, November 19, 2004
      Time: 7:30PM - 9:30PM PST (GMT-08:00)

      �Black Skimmers in the West: Their Triumphs, Travels, &
      Troubles�

      presented by Kathy Molina

      Kathy Molina has been studying breeding Black Skimmers and other
      waterbirds at the Salton Sea for over a decade. Over the last
      few years with collaborator and husband, Kimball Garrett, Kathy
      has migrated south across the border to examine the winter
      distribution and ecology of Black Skimmers and Gull-billed Terns
      in Mexico.

      She recently co-edited a volume of Studies in Avian Biology, a
      publication of the Cooper Ornithological Society, entitled
      Ecology and Conservation of Birds of the Salton Sink: an
      Endangered Ecosystem.

      In her talk entitled �Black Skimmers in the West: Their
      triumphs, travels, and troubles�, Kathy will focus on the
      breeding behavior, at the Salton Sea, of this highly gregarious
      species which is a fairly recent arrival in California. She
      will also discuss their distribution patterns and behavior, and
      the challenges they face in the future.

      We hope you will join us to learn more about these fascinating
      birds with their unique feeding style. The doors open at 7:00,
      the meeting starts at 7:30 pm. Our Sea & Sage Audubon meeting
      will be held at the Irvine Ranch Water District Board Meeting
      Room at 15600 Sand Canyon Avenue in Irvine.

      Jay & Marquita Miller, Program Co-Chairs

      DIRECTIONS to the meeting
      Our meetings are held in the Board Meeting Room of the Irvine
      Ranch Water District's main office on the east side of Sand
      Canyon Ave. at the intersection of Water Works and Sand Canyon,
      in the city of Irvine. If you are coming by freeway, Sand
      Canyon may be accessed from both Santa Ana Frwy (5) or San Diego
      Frwy (405); there are ramps from both the north and the south.
      [The Irvine Ranch Water District neither supports nor endorses
      the cause or activities of organizations which use the
      district's meeting rooms, which are made available as a public
      service.)

      Nancy Kenyon
      kenyon@...
      Irvine, CA