Re: [CALBIRDS] One Poll Leads to Another >>>> THREAD CLOSED <<<

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
      This is off topic for this list, as it is not specific to California, other
      than the scope of the respondents. It properly belongs on BirdChat.

      I also removed the message giving results of the poll from the archives.
      There are bots out there that sweep Yahoo Groups and mine the postings for
      email addresses to spam. Anyone posting an email address that is not
      theirs, without written approval from the owner of that address, will be
      set to moderated status.

      At 12:54 PM 2004-11-17 -0800, Jim Gain wrote:

      >My thanks to those of you that responded to my poll. There was an
      >interesting mixture of reasons why you got involved in this hobby. Many
      >birders responded to me privately and encouraged me to follow up with
      >another poll.
      >

      >Now that we're hooked, (some of us to obsession), what is it that keeps us
      >birders birding? What I would like to do first however is to come up with a
      >list of possible responses before I set up the poll. Here are a few reasons
      >I came up with:
      >

      >- Knowing that in that next tree, lake or sewage treatment plant a good bird
      >might be lurking.
      >
      >- The thrill of exploring different habitats and locations.
      >
      >- The sense of peace that comes with spending time outdoors, away from the
      >hustle and bustle of everyday life.
      >
      >- The camaraderie of being with people that enjoy the same activity.
      >
      >- The enjoyment of observing the great variety of colors, shapes, patterns
      >and behaviors of birds.
      >

      >If you can come up with other reasons, please send them to me.
      >

      >Jim Gain
      >
      >Modesto
      >
      >Luck Favors the Well Prepared Birder
      >

      >P.S. If this is not an appropriate post for CalBirds, my apologies. Just
      >ignore it.

      >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
      >Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to
      >these addresses:
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Good birding,
      Steve Sosensky