A few California birds

  • epiceveryday@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2004
      Hi birders-

      Matt Brady, Daryl Coldren and I saw a few good birds this weekend. Here are
      some highlights.

      Friday, 12 Nov- 1 WHITE THROATED SPARROW (white striped type), one Aluetian
      CACKLING GOOSE and 2 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE at Furnace Creek Ranch. In
      Shoshone, also Inyo co., there was a single AMERICAN CROW (which I understand
      to be a pretty good bird there). In Baker, a single RED-SHOULDERED HAWK flew
      over us, affording nice views. The CURVE-BILLED THRASHER was still at the
      black meadow landing, near parker dam, and gave us very nice, though brief,
      views.

      Saturday, 13 Nov- We birded Blythe with Roger Higson, and he kindly showed
      us all around the area. There were 3 unseasonal WHITE-WINGED DOVES not too far
      from the S.T.P. The Adult ZONE-TAILED HAWK wheeled around town while we
      chased it for a while before finally circling so we could get out our scopes and
      get some nice views. The adult SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER continued outside
      Roger's house also. A single RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER was in Mayflower park, in
      addition to the YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER that Roger had seen earlier, and we
      missed. A large flock of CHIPPING SPARROWS and DARK-EYED JUNCOS there were the
      first large numbers of these species this season in Blythe, according to Roger.

      Sunday 14 Nov- A single AMERICAN REDSTART continued at Whister unit. The
      HUTTON'S VIREO was also continuing in Brawley and being very vocal. It was
      loosely associating with a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH. There were also about 4 GILA
      WOODPECKERS at the same spot. 5 RUDDY GROUND-DOVES were at Sperry and Eddins, as
      usual, as well as 2 VERMILLION FLYCATVCHERS in that vicinity. In the
      fourth field west of 111, on the south side of the road, we had a suprising 2
      SPRAGUE'S PIPITS. As I had one in my scope, I looked across the field to see
      Matt and Daryl excitied about looking at something. After talking to them, it
      became evident that we had two birds at the same time. Way cool. In the fields
      east of the Calipatria State Prison, there were 2 well-marked male LAPLAND
      LONGSPURS and probably around 8 CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPURS in with a few
      hundred Horned Larks and American Pipits. At the San Jacinto wildlife refuge, we
      went to the pond where the Little Gull had been reported, and missed it, but
      did get nice looks at a late second-cycle FRANKLIN'S GULL that was wheeling
      around with the Bonys.

      Monday 15 Nov.- The EASTERN PHEOBE continued at Comsumnes, in Sacramento;
      and we got nice looks at it just at dawn. At Lake Merrit, Alameda co, there
      were about 15 BARROW'S GOLDENEYE, along with both the male and female TUFTED
      DUCKS.
      I hope I didnt forget anything.

      As usual, if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to e-mail
      me.

      Ryan Terrill
      Santa Cruz, Ca
      _epiceveryday@..._ (mailto:epiceveryday@...)