Re: Yellow-footed Gull UPDATE

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2004
      The Yellow-footed Gull, adult, was first seen yesterday morning about
      9 am on the jetty that wraps around the bait barge in Dana Point
      Harbor. I went back in the mid-afternoon, and there were few gulls on
      that jetty, and the Yellow-foot wasn't one of them. This morning I
      went to the area....at the end of Puerto Pl where there is county paid
      parking (free with County sticker), scoped the jetty without seeing
      the bird, although there were a number of gulls again on the rocks,
      and then walked out to the area. The Yellow-footed Gull was in the
      first group of Gulls today (Friday)...which start after you make the
      dog leg to the right onto the 2nd segment of the jetty. However, it
      quickly flew without my getting close (about 8:50 am), and last seen
      was heading for the local sanitary landfill over San Clemente.
      Although there is only 2 days of observation on this bird, I'm
      optimistic it might stay around, but one would have to get to the
      jetty early to see it. Further observations will be appreciated.
      Joel Weintraub, Dana Point, CA