Timely Submission of Documentation to CBRC

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2004
      California Birders:

      The CBRC would like to remind observers to send in documentation of
      rarities reviewed by the Committee and to do so as soon as practicable.
      [To see the Review List, see http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/review.html
      <http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/review.html> ] In the past year or so,
      Guy McCaskie, in his role as CBRC Secretary, has substantially
      accelerated the review process. This was, in part, a response to the
      birding community's having expressed an interest in learning about
      decisions on these records as fast as possible. As it stands, Guy is
      sending out records out for Committee review within a couple months of
      their occurrence, which is an astounding and welcome event. To maintain
      this, we ask that submissions be made as close to the observation period
      as possible. It appears one reason for delay is that some observers
      save their documentation for the end of the NAB reporting season. We
      would ask that this not be done, as it either delays voting on a record
      for up to a few months, or the record circulates without all the
      supporting material. (Fall is particularly tough as birds noted in
      August and September might not be sent in until December, undoing the
      great progress Guy has made on accelerating the review cycle.) If you
      have already submitted documentation for long-staying birds but obtain
      additional information (e.g. better photos, more written details, or an
      extension of the date span), please submit that information as soon as
      possible.

      Therefore, we ask that you submit your documentation promptly. You can
      cc Guy guymcc@... <mailto:guymcc@...> if you are
      emailing your NAB County editor, which just adds a few keystrokes.
      Also, Guy is happy to receive jpegs of birds, so please include those in
      your submissions.

      We thank you for your continued contributions, which have been
      invaluable in building a meaningful database of vagrants and scarce
      migrants in California.

      Kimball Garrett

      California Bird Records Committee

      Kimball L. Garrett