pure Cape May ?

  • vireos44
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hi, Doug Willick asked that I post this message in regards to the
      reported Cape May Warbler in the Laguna Road tamarisk trees on the
      Oxnard plain. After an extended period of study late this afternoon,
      he feels that there is a possibility that the bird is a hybrid.
      Features that appear aberrant for a pure Cape May are in regards to
      tail length, bill shape, face pattern, the presence of two well-
      separated prominent wingbars, and undertail pattern (ie, an
      excessive amount of white reaching the tail tip on the inner web of
      R6). He hopes that others will be able to scrutinize the bird and
      perhaps obtain photographs.

      regards,

      Jim Pike
      Huntington Beach, CA