Re: Re: [CALBIRDS] bittern on a pier?

  • Geoffrey Rogers
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
      Jon, Tom, and all,

      I do recall seeing somewhere a picture of FDR with Ludlow Griscom, the so-called patron saint of modern American birdwatching. I guess the two of them represented, in a way, the transition from bullet to binocular birding. A website I checked says that FDR was a birder from his youth and by the time he entered college, "had collected and identified about 300 different species. Even today, his remains the most comprehensive collection ever made of Dutches County birds." Griscom brought visual identification of birds to a level of recognition nearly equal with collecting.

      Geoff

      Geoffrey L. Rogers
      oreortyx@...
      San Diego, CA