China Ranch birds

  • vireos44
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hi all, I just returned from an enjoyable birding loop through the
      Mojave desert. In case anyone is planning a trip to Death Valley in
      the near future, be aware that entrances to the park from Death
      Valley Junction (Hwy 190) and Shoshone (Hwy 178) are still closed
      due to damages incurred during August storms. At China Ranch
      yesterday, in extreme southeastern Inyo County (east of Tecopa Hot
      Springs), there was a Gray Catbird, a female/immature Painted
      Bunting, a Dickcissel, and a Swamp Sparrow. In addition, there was a
      handful of species that are apparently irrupting to some degree this
      fall, including Western Scrub-Jay, Red-breasted Nuthatch, White-
      breasted Nuthatch, and Pine Siskin. Having only birded China Ranch
      once before, I was initially concerned about possible private
      property issues. However, I found out that the proprietor of the
      Ranch House Inn/Bed and Breakfast welcomes birders to the property.
      Interested parties can check their website.

      Jim Pike
      Huntington Beach, CA