Common Black-Hawk near Stockton

  • Chris Conard
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2004
      Folks,

      This was just posted on the SJBirds listserve. I know of no other details on the report below (or how to get there), but I'm hoping some of the SJ County birders do and will provide more info. A Common Black-Hawk was seen and photographed last winter at this location, but before anyone followed up on it, it was gone.

      Chris Conard
      Sacramento

      The Common Black Hawk has returned. This afternoon I heard the hawk call and
      then spotted it perched on a gazebo. It stayed in the area of our bay on
      Lake Lincoln for about an hour. This time it caught a fairly large fish but
      dropped it in the water before it was able to get it to shore. The hawk got in
      the water from the bulkhead three different times to try and retrieve the fish
      but was unsuccessful. Margaret Williams came over in time to see the hawk and
      confirm it as a Common Black Hawk. We watched it fly and land on the ground
      and a fence.

      I called several people whose phone numbers I have from the Audubon
      Newsletter but left messages as most people were probably at work as the time was
      around 1:00 to 1:30. The Lake is private property but there is one spot on
      Benjamin Holt Drive just past Cumberland where there is an open view of the lake on
      the left side of the street through a wrought iron fence. The Hawk probably
      fishes the lake in general so that may be a good place to see it. It seems to
      show up in the early afternoon, or at least it did this spring and also today.

      Vi Strain