Re: [CALBIRDS] (Goshawk question)Re: Mystery bird and correction

  • natureali@ixpres.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      Tom

      >If Goshawks are "migrating" south out of the southern end of the Sierras
      > in Kern County, they must be coming to us
      Gee, I didn't know you lived in the mountains? Which is where I would
      expect them to migrate to, I wouldn't expect them in the valleys. The Kern
      Valley Vulture watch site is sandwiched between two mountain ranges.

      As for goshawk migration, it is more of an irruptive movement based on
      food sources. We have experienced 4 years of severe drought with
      relatively no summer storms at all in our local mountains. The rodent
      population seems relatively stable here, but may not be elsewhere. In
      northern climes, snowshoe hare is reported to be the favorite food of the
      goshawk. When population crashes occur the goshawk is known to move
      relatively on masse. Where they go would be a great study!

      Since, I spend many days during the summer searching for goshawks and
      spotted owls as part of my job, I would say the chance of finding these
      birds in their habitat is slim. Unless a female is sitting on a nest they
      are particularly difficult to find. (FYI, the females are known to attack
      anything large or small when near their nests, but this is not always true
      as I have walked right under their nests without a peep).

      If anyone is birding in conifer forests anywhere in the southwest or
      Mexico this winter, reports of the presence of goshawks would be
      interesting information to have.

      Oh, one error on my report of yesterday,
      > Summer Tanager was caught in the mist nets
      Oops make that a Western Tanager, sorry second hand report.

      Good birding,

      Ali