(Goshawk question)Re: [CALBIRDS] Mystery bird and fantastic day counting Turkey Vultures

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2004
      Where, prey tell (pun intended), are these Goshawks going??? South for the
      winter? I thought that Goshawks have high territorial fidelity, and are
      very habitat specific, i.e. they need to be in certain types of forest in
      the mountains. We don't have breeding Goshawks in Los Angeles, Orange, or
      San Diego Counties, and I've never seen one in any of these southerly
      counties in the winter (or any time).
      If Goshawks are "migrating" south out of the southern end of the Sierras in
      Kern County, they must be coming to us, unless they are going to the Sierra
      Madre in Baja California, or Southeast Arizona's mountains (or even further
      south?).
      We sure aren't seeing them.

      Tom

      Thomas Geza Miko