Banded Steller's Jay

  • Geoffrey Rogers
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2004
      I had a banded Steller's Jay today at Paso Picacho Campground at Cuyamaca Rancho State Park near San Diego. The band was metal and on the right leg. It seemed fairly new and untarnished although I couldn't make out the figures. The bird was replacing rectrices and head feathers and was very approachable, even more so than most jays. Does anyone know of banding projects involving this species?

      I did not see any Pinyon Jays (as were recently reported north of Lake Cuyamaca).

      Geoff

      Geoffrey L. Rogers
      oreortyx@...
      San Diego, CA