Pelagic trips

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2004
      Hello, Seabirders,
      Shearwater Journeys has a number of exciting pelagic trips in the works. Up
      this weekend is Bodega Bay on Friday, September 17th aboard the New Sea
      Angler with Jon Dunn, Steve Howell, Lisa Hug, Debi Shearwater, and David
      VanderPluym. This trip meets at 6:15 am at Port O'Bodega in Bodeag Bay, and
      returns about 5 pm. Spend Saturday driving up the beautiful coast, and
      birding en route to Fort Bragg. Sunday, we have a trip that departs from
      Noyo Harbor on the Trek II at 6:30 am, returning about 8-12 hours later.
      Leaders for this trip include Peter Pyle, Steve Howell, Lisa Hug, Matt
      Brady, David VanderPluym, and Debi Shearwater. Bring warm clothes, jackets,
      and lunch and drinks.

      The following week, we offer a series of trips that may be taken in any
      combination:
      Sep 24, Friday: Monterey Seavalley
      Sep. 25, Saturday: Monterey Bay
      Sep. 26, Sunday: Bodega Canyon & Cordell Bank
      Sep. 27, Monday: Birding along the Mendo coast from Bodega Bay
      Sep. 28, Tuesday: Fort Bragg: Noyo Canyon + Offshore

      Currently, we have spaces on all of these trips (limited spaces on the 26th,
      however). We are still in the peak of fall seabird migration. You can make a
      reservation by emailing Debi, or leaving a message on the office answering
      machine. I will be out of the office, and on boats beginning tomorrow around
      10 am. I will return to the office on Sep. 21.

      Hope you can join us for one of these exciting trips!!
      Skuas forever,
      Debi
      ---
      http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      Debi Shearwater <debiluv@...>
      Shearwater Journeys
      P.O. Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831-637-8527
    • Sasha Keyel
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
        Hello,

        I will be moving to southern California (south of LA) in early October
        (first free weekend will be the weekend of the 14th), and have a few
        questions.

        First, where can I find more information on upcoming pelagic trips? I
        would be very interested in going on a pelagic trip, having never seen
        a shearwater, petrel, or most of the other pelagic species in CA (not
        too many of them get to Wisconsin).

        Second, I am very interested in hearing or seeing a black rail; where
        are the best places to listen/look for them, and what times of the
        year is it likely to hear/see them?

        I apologize if these are topics discussed in a recent post.

        Thanks for your help,
        Sasha Keyel
        Trabuco Canyon (in a few weeks anyhow)
      • Bernardo Alps
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
          Hi, Sasha et al.

          There are many different kinds of pelagic trips in Southern California. The
          Los Angeles Audubon Society offers a nice assortment.
          http://www.laaudubon.org/ . Here you can also find the very useful seasonal
          abundance lists by Todd McGrath and Jon Feenstra. They are not on the site
          right now, but I've been assured that they are being updated and will be
          posted again soon. The "Condor Express" out of Santa Barbara runs a few good
          trips. http://www.condorcruises.com/ . And after you get hooked you will
          want to graduate to the "Searcher" trips http://www.bajawhale.com/ . The ABA
          has a calendar of pelagic trips online at
          http://www.americanbirding.org/resources/pelagics.html . That covers the
          whole country and is posted at the beginning of the year.

          Monitoring CALBIRDS is also a good way to receive reminders and to find out
          about the few odd trips that are not listed in the places mentioned above.

          Take care,

          Bernardo

          Bernardo Alps
          San Pedro, CA
          Whalephoto@...

          I will be moving to southern California (south of LA) in early October
          (first free weekend will be the weekend of the 14th), and have a few
          questions.

          First, where can I find more information on upcoming pelagic trips? I
          would be very interested in going on a pelagic trip, having never seen
          a shearwater, petrel, or most of the other pelagic species in CA (not
          too many of them get to Wisconsin).

          Second, I am very interested in hearing or seeing a black rail; where
          are the best places to listen/look for them, and what times of the
          year is it likely to hear/see them?

          I apologize if these are topics discussed in a recent post.

          Thanks for your help,
          Sasha Keyel
          Trabuco Canyon (in a few weeks anyhow)

          these addresses: