Where can I find Roadrunners and Phainopeplas?

  • ghantsbarger
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2004
      I have been staying on the San Francisco Peninsula for about a year
      while working at a temporary job. Before long, I will be moving back
      to my home in Illinois. I have had a great time birding and hiking
      around the SF Bay area, and on a few occasions in the Sierras, and
      have added more than fifty birds to my life list since coming out
      here. Before I leave, there are two more California birds which I
      would like to add to my life list: the Phainopepla and the Greater
      Roadrunner. If anyone can recommend to me a place where either or
      both of these birds can reliably be found, I would much appreciate
      it. Preferably, the place would be within a few hours drive from San
      Mateo, where I am staying, but if it will take an overnight road
      trip, that is okay. If the place also has some scenic hiking, that
      would be a bonus.