Sep 5, 2004 Trip Report

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6 7:27 PM
      Hello, Seabirders,
      Shearwater Journeys had a very successful, but HOT, day on Monterey Bay
      yesterday! I cannot remember how long it has been since we were able to be
      on a boat trip in T-shirts! The day began with bright sunshine at the dock
      in the morning before our departure which continued throughout the day. Seas
      were good, with a small swell, no whitecaps, Beaufort 1-2 throughout.

      The highligts of the trip included: 1 BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER, 1 adult
      TUFTED PUFFIN, ALL THREE SPECIES OF JAEGERS, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, and over 2000
      STORM-PETRELS. The red tide continues inside of Monterey Bay, but there were
      more birds feeding inside the bay, mainly ELEGANT TERNS, BROWN PELICANS, and
      BRANDT'S CORMORANTS. We immediately encountered flocks of shearwaters
      sitting on the water, and feeding at the surface off of Point Joe. We also
      encountered the first of what would be hundreds of dolphins in a mixed
      school: RISSO'S DOLPHINS, NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHINS, and PACIFIC
      WHITE-SIDED DOLPHINS. There were many young Risso's dolphins in these
      scattered subgroups.

      We headed offshore to about 20 miles off Point Pinos to pick up the first of
      two SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, a dozen BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES, and more
      shearwaters. Turning north, we found scatterd storm-petrels, and then,
      several rafts of about 2000. Spending over an hour sifting through the
      storm-petrel flocks, we picked out many BLACK STORM-PETRELS, one WILSON'S
      STORM-PETREL, and 1 LEAST STORM-PETREL, amongst the many ASHY STORM-PETRELS.
      The petrel flocks are still in the general area where we saw them last week.
      However, thousands of storm-petrels have been reported near Bodega Canyon
      off of Bodega Bay. It may be that the bulk of the storm-petrels are
      concentated north of Monterey at this time, as researchers running transects
      from Bodega Bay have recently recorded 6,000 Ashy Storm-Petrels, along with
      up to 40 Wilson's, Blacks, and Leasts near Bodega Canyon! Storm-Petrels
      often prefer the edges of canyons. Twentynine years ago, when I began
      running trips from Monterey Bay, we could find the petrel flocks on the same
      location near Soquel Canyon, year after year. But, in the past ten years,
      the flocks have been more and more difficult to locate. Finally, it began to
      appear that they were rafting up at Bodega Canyon, at least some of years,
      or moving back and forth between Bodega and Monterey (and perhaps, Pioneer
      Canyon). So, storm-petrel flocks may be in one location one week, and gone
      the next. We shall see, as we have a trip this Friday, September 10th from
      Bodega Bay.

      Most of the marine mammals are continue to be absent from inside Monterey
      Bay. We did encounter a number of HUMPBACK WHALES, and the usual DALL'S
      PORPOISES. BLUE SHARKS and OCEAN SUNFISH were found. The leaders for this
      trip were: Mike Danzenbaker, Clay Kempf, Jennifer Green, Gerry McChesney,
      and Debi Shearwater. Pro chummer: Matt Brady. The full trip report follows:

      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-12
      NORTHERN FULMAR-5
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-567
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER-368
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-4540
      BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER-1
      ASHY STORM-PETREL-2320
      BLACK STORM-PETREL-85
      WILSON'S STORM-PETREL-1
      LEAST STORM-PETREL-1
      BROWN PELICAN-+
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT-+
      PELAGIC CORMORANT-2
      WHIMBREL-5
      BLACK TURNSTONE-9
      SURFBIRD-1
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE-176
      RED PHALAROPE-20
      BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER-20
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA-2
      POMARINE JAEGER-5
      POMARINE/PARASITIC JAEGER-2
      PARASITIC JAEGER-3
      LONG-TAILED JAEGER-2
      HEERMANN'S GULL-+
      CALIFORNIA GULL-+
      HERRING GULL-1
      WESTERN GULL-+
      SABINE'S GULL-12
      ELEGANT TERN-350
      COMMON MURRE-81
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT-8
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET-79
      TUFTED PUFFIN-1 ADULT
      PEREGRINE FALCON-1

      SEA OTTER-4
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION-+
      NORTHERN FUR SEAL-1
      HARBOR SEAL-+
      HUMPBACK WHALE-10
      NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN-80
      RISSO'S DOLPHIN-427
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN-11
      DALL'S PORPOISE-11
      OCEAN SUNFISH-4
      BLUE SHARK-3

      UPCOMING TRIPS: Our next trips from Monterey are this Saturday, Sep 11,
      Sunday Sep 12 which is an offshore trip to the Albacore fishing grounds, and
      Monday, Sep 13 (Debi's birthday trip!). Spaces are available on all of these
      trips. We also have space on Monterey trips on Sep 24 and 25; Oct 1, 3, 8,
      9, and 15. We have two more Albacore trips from Monterey: Oct 2 and 10. Our
      Bodega Bay trips that have space available are: this Friday, Sep 10th, Sep
      17, and 26; Oct 11. Fort Bragg departures are: Sep 19 and 28, and Oct 13. We
      welcome you to join us on these trips.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi
      ---