Yellow-green Vireo @ Boulder Oaks

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2004
      Hi, all!

      Today Marjorie Hastings and I had a YELLOW-GREEN VIREO in the riparian area
      along the PCT right under the I-8 freeway overpass, at about 10:50 am. The
      bird was close to the trail at first; the first thing I glimpsed was a bright
      olive-green bird with a gray cap. When I got a better look I saw white
      underparts with a bright yellow wash on the sides, and when the bird finally
      allowed us to see all of him, we had a bird with a very Red-eyed Vireo-like jizz
      (peaked head; rather longish, heavy bill), with a white eyebrow but with no
      dark border (Warbling Vireo was eliminated by the BRIGHT yellow sides and
      greenish back). The bill had a very obvious pinkish base to most of the lower
      mandible, and the eye was dark. When the bird sat up and faced us, the yellow
      extended onto the sides of the breast almost like a little vest.
      Unfortunately it didn't stay still long enough for a shot; he took off for the trees, wher
      e his green back was very evident in flight. He did not vocalize.

      I don't know if this bird is chaseable or not (there was also a bona fide
      Warbling Vireo in there, as well as Pacific-slope Flycatcher and probably other
      migrants), but to get there, take I-8 east to the Buckman Springs Road exit.
      Turn right at the end of the ramp, then left at the 4-way stop. After
      about a mile or so you'll cross over Kitchen Creek, which you'll see goes under
      the freeway. There will be a parking area on the right where the old store
      used to be; if you pass the National Forest campground you've gone too far.
      Park here, cross the road (and be careful doing so: I looked both ways and
      STILL almost got creamed by this yoyo zipping around the corner...) and pick up
      the PCT which goes left (west) towards the creek. As I said, the bird was
      right under the freeway.

      Good luck!

      Mary Beth Stowe
      MiriamEagl@...