RE: [CALBIRDS] Hum Co, Crested Caracara 9/4/04

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2004
      Hi all,

      I want to respectfully disagree with Brian's assessment of this being a
      juvenile Caracara. The bird clearly had two generations of feathers, with
      old worn wing coverts being replaced by newer feathers, indicating an age of
      at least one year. Also, the legs were bright yellow, the face was bright
      orange/pink and the lower chest was barred and not streaked. I believe that
      this is an adult.

      Thanks for refinding it Brian, we all felt bad when Sean and Amber walked up
      as we saw the last dot of it disappearing to the north!

      Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
      ron@...
      707/839-0900
      Fax 839-0867
      www.madriverbio.com
      Mad River Biologists
      1497 Central Avenue
      McKinleyville, CA 95519

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
        You're absolutely correct Ron. Kerry Ross pointed out the barring on the
        back and breast of the neck in photo he had taken. The brown I had seen
        was the worn feathers that you describe below, but from the distance and
        heat waves the color was probably somewhat blurred. Sunday evening I
        observed the bird again without heat waves around 7pm and would agree with
        you that the bird is an adult based on the barring on the front and back
        of the neck, the brown scaps on otherwise black wings, and yellow legs; it
        appears that the facial skin may be a poor indication age as this color
        can rapidly change. When I initially observed the bird it looked pink,
        later (in a setting sun) it looked almost blood red.

        ~Brian

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I want to respectfully disagree with Brian's assessment of this being a
        juvenile Caracara. The bird clearly had two generations of feathers,
        with
        > old worn wing coverts being replaced by newer feathers, indicating an
        age
        > of
        > at least one year. Also, the legs were bright yellow, the face was
        bright
        > orange/pink and the lower chest was barred and not streaked. I believe
        > that
        > this is an adult.
        >
        > Thanks for refinding it Brian, we all felt bad when Sean and Amber
        walked
        > up
        > as we saw the last dot of it disappearing to the north!
        >
        > Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
        > ron@...
        > 707/839-0900
        > Fax 839-0867
        > www.madriverbio.com
        > Mad River Biologists
        > 1497 Central Avenue
        > McKinleyville, CA 95519

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
        email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com