Hum Co, Crested Caracara 9/4/04

  • Brian Acord
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2004
      The juvenile CRESTED CARACARA found by Ron LeValley and company this
      morning (9/4) at around 9am was refound in the Arcata Bottoms at Mad River
      Rd & Miller Rd at around noon by Brian Acord in Humboldt County.

      The bird was originally found by Ron LeValley around 9am near the mouth of
      Jacoby Crk. He reported watching the bird fly northwest at 09:30. I found
      the bird in the Arcata Bottoms west of the intersection of Mad River Rd &
      Miller Rd perched on a fence post at noon. Rob Fowler showed up and
      photographed the bird through his scope just prior to the bird flying
      south west at about 12:50 and landing on another fence post, probably near
      Lanphere Rd.

      The bird appeared to be a juvenile based on the brownish color in the
      wings and buffy chest and neck. It had a distinct black cap and the facial
      skin was not bright red, but more a pale pink color. However, the long,
      non-banded legs were bright yellow.

      This may potentially be the same bird that was not publicly reported in
      Sonoma Co., that was seen by several folks on the Mendocino coast, and now
      is in Humboldt Co.

      ~Brian Acord
      Arcata, CA
      ______________________________________
      Brian Acord
      Graduate Research Assistant
      Department of Wildlife
      Humboldt State University
      Arcata, CA 95521
      (707) 826-3581
      bca4@...
      ______________________________________
    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2004
        Hi all,

        I want to respectfully disagree with Brian's assessment of this being a
        juvenile Caracara. The bird clearly had two generations of feathers, with
        old worn wing coverts being replaced by newer feathers, indicating an age of
        at least one year. Also, the legs were bright yellow, the face was bright
        orange/pink and the lower chest was barred and not streaked. I believe that
        this is an adult.

        Thanks for refinding it Brian, we all felt bad when Sean and Amber walked up
        as we saw the last dot of it disappearing to the north!

        Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
        ron@...
        707/839-0900
        Fax 839-0867
        www.madriverbio.com
        Mad River Biologists
        1497 Central Avenue
        McKinleyville, CA 95519

[...]

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Brian Acord
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
          You're absolutely correct Ron. Kerry Ross pointed out the barring on the
          back and breast of the neck in photo he had taken. The brown I had seen
          was the worn feathers that you describe below, but from the distance and
          heat waves the color was probably somewhat blurred. Sunday evening I
          observed the bird again without heat waves around 7pm and would agree with
          you that the bird is an adult based on the barring on the front and back
          of the neck, the brown scaps on otherwise black wings, and yellow legs; it
          appears that the facial skin may be a poor indication age as this color
          can rapidly change. When I initially observed the bird it looked pink,
          later (in a setting sun) it looked almost blood red.

          ~Brian

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I want to respectfully disagree with Brian's assessment of this being a
          juvenile Caracara. The bird clearly had two generations of feathers,
          with
          > old worn wing coverts being replaced by newer feathers, indicating an
          age
          > of
          > at least one year. Also, the legs were bright yellow, the face was
          bright
          > orange/pink and the lower chest was barred and not streaked. I believe
          > that
          > this is an adult.
          >
          > Thanks for refinding it Brian, we all felt bad when Sean and Amber
          walked
          > up
          > as we saw the last dot of it disappearing to the north!
          >
          > Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
          > ron@...
          > 707/839-0900
          > Fax 839-0867
          > www.madriverbio.com
          > Mad River Biologists
          > 1497 Central Avenue
          > McKinleyville, CA 95519

          Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
          email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com