Re: [CALBIRDS] OH, THAT PLOVER

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
      Howdy Birders,
      I think that Lomax is correct....I just looked at the photos on Debbie's
      website, and I agree that it sure looks a lot more like a Wilson's Plover
      than a sandplover for all of the reasons that Lomax stated, plus the
      wingstripe is very bold and long....and the face just doesn't look quite
      right for sandplover. I cannot see why it isn't a Wilson's Plover.

      just my two cents

      John Sterling
      VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695

      530-668-1985 (home)
      530-668-8694 (home office)
      916-752-0899 (Cell)
      916-737-3000 (Sacramento Office)

      ani@...
      JSterling@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
        Hi, all!

        I concur with Jim that the bill looks way too long for a Lesser Sand Plover;
        just for grins, I scanned and downloaded to the Calbirds photo gallery
        (under Shorebirds) a couple of photos (not the greatest) taken in Cairns,
        Australia, of both Lesser and Greater Sand Plovers, to show the difference in the
        bills. I'm not advocating another Greater Sand Plover necessarily, but I did
        want to draw attention to the bill.

        Take care,

        Mary Beth Stowe
        MiriamEagl@...