Re: Burrowing Owl Conservation Help

  • dan_cooper_90042
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2004
      David/group,

      I get these calls on a regular basis. In fact, just yesterday, I was
      emailed about a company in the Pleasanton area who was discing a
      field on their property to prohibit owls from using it.

      This cynical form of habitat management should not be tolerated,
      especially since owls can co-exist with agricultural and even semi-
      urban situations quite well.

      As most on this list are aware, this is a species that is in big
      trouble in the state away from its stronghold in the southeastern
      corner (Colorado River Valley and Imperial Valley). Efforts to list
      it as State Threatened recently failed, and though many feared
      listing would only encourage this sort of illegal activity, it
      appears that not listing is not exactly helping either.

      I have only recommended that people get in touch with their local
      Dept. of Fish and Game office, since this is the only state agency
      with any authority over these activities. I know that DFG has an
      anonymous tipline, 1-888-334-2258, but I don't know whether this has
      been effective at discouraging Burrowing Owl disturbance.

      I would hope that the more DFG hears about these incidents, the
      better, but if someone from the Dept. could comment on this, that
      would be helpful.

      Thanks for bringing up this important bird conservation issue.

      Dan Cooper
      Audubon California
      Los Angeles