Louisiana Waterthrush

  • scre@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10 10:22 PM
      The Louisiana Waterthrush found yesterday morning in Oak Meadow Park Los
      Gatos, Santa Clara County was seen again today. I arrived before dawn this
      morning, but it took two hours before Mike Rogers found the bird in the creek across
      from the parking lot at 8:15. The bird worked its way downstream, sometimes
      doubling back. We were allowed decent if brief looks at the bird as it was
      very flighty. We lost the bird after it had moved down stream past the railroad
      bridge. I left soon after but returned a little after noon. The bird was
      not in evidence along the creek between the bathrooms and the parking so started
      working my way down creek along with other birders present. Steve Rottenborn
      and I soon located the bird about 100-150 meters down creek from the RR
      bridge. The bird flew from the creek to a drainage running alongside the base of
      hillside that is thick with a blackberry understory, Seeing the bird in flight
      only here we were able to relocate the bird back in the creek near the RR
      bridge. Here we were afford excellent looks at the bird as it moved its way back
      up the creek. The bird ranges widely and is very flightly. It was seen
      along the creek from the parking lot down past the group picnic areas to where the
      hillside meets the creekside. This is also where the previous mentioned
      drainage meets the creek. The bird often only stays in place for a few seconds
      before moving on and it can flush at a great distance but other times it will
      just sit in place for while. Often it hides a foot or two up the bank from the
      waterline. I was able to obtain excellent though brief video of the bird.
      Good Birding

      David Vander Pluym
      Santa Cruz

    • sharkfin831
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11 6:17 AM
        For those of you not familiar with Oak Meadow Park, reference the
        following link:

        http://pages.prodigy.net/rhorii/lgcrktr2.htm

        http://www.bjwrr.org/bjwrr-map.html (directions and map)

        From Highway 17 in Los Gatos, take the Lark Avenue exit (west). Turn
        left onto University, continue past the park and reservoir and turn
        left on Blossom Hill. Oak Meadow Park's parking lot entrance is the
        first driveway to the left. Parking Fee: $4.00

        I was there from 8:30 to 10 AM. The bird was very skittish. I had
        to be satisfied a
        nanosecond look which was much too short to be sure of what I was
        looking at. I returned at 4:30 PM. There were birders who had been
        waiting there for two hours. Mark Easton from San Francisco called
        everyone over to where he had rediscovered bird right off of the
        parking lot and near the beginning of the wooden fence. This time I
        was satisfied with a 10-second look as the bird was now less
        skittish than in the morning hours.

        --
        Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County

      • Guy McCaskie
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2012
          Tom Wurster asked me to post the fact that he is looking at what appears to
          be a Louisiana Waterthrush at the small "pitch and put" golf course in
          California City.

          Good luck,

          Guy McCaskie

          Secretary CBRC