Molera Madness: Hooded Warbler fledgling

  • migratoriusfwlr@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2004
      Hi birders,
      Great news!!!! This morning, while doing my area search, I had fantastic views of a fledgling male HOODED WARBLER. Big Sur Ornithology Lab coordinator Sarah Stock and fellow intern Alia Mukida also got great looks at the bird while it perched in a beam of sunlight and occassionally preened.I have suspected that, since these birds have been present since June 13th, that these birds may have been nesting. But, since there is such a dense understory of poison oak where it is suspected that they may be, none of us have been brave enough to venture into the thicket to search for the nest. Thank god we didn't have to. This is the first breeding record for Monterey county and may just be around the 5th for California. Maybe somebody could chime in on that matter. Also, we had a wonderful surprise in the form of a juvenile female NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL, which flew into one of the nets that fellow intern Alia just opened. She got to see it fly right in! This in itself is amazing since this is Alia's last day and was a lifer for 2 of us here at BSOL. The magic does not end here at Molera. It is always present. Tommorow is my last day here and then off to Arizona to clean up down there. It's been a fabulous spring/summer and I hope to carry this good mojo for some time to come. Bird hard.....

      Rob Fowler
      Big Sur Ornithology Lab