Rowdy Ibis II

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2004
      Birders

      The message apparently didn't get attached so here it is again:

      Brian,

      When I worked for PRBO out at the Sea I saw this behavior on occasion.  As I
      remember it I saw it along Davis Rd, i.e. away from the Ag, so that may
      argue against any agrochemical type cause.  When I witnessed it I assumed
      that they were "sunbathing", perhaps trying to cook parasites off.  I don't
      remember seeing any actually fall over, but maybe I just didn't watch long
      enough.  Perhaps the slow leaning is their attempt to allow the sun to pass
      between all their feathers and reach the skin.  I suppose that this could
      lead to overheating and maybe cause them to become groggy.  Whatever they
      were doing, it certainly did look strange.

      I look forward to your vagrant reports from SCI and Baja this fall.

      Take it easy,

      Brennan Mulrooney
      Key Largo, FL

      Brian L. Sullivan
      PRBO Conservation Science
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA
      92108