Case of the drunken Ibis part II

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 2:55 PM
      Birders

      Several people have already suggested avian botulism as a possible
      explanation of this odd Ibis behavior. I returned to the same field several days later
      and found no carcasses, in fact there were no birds there at all. Also the
      bird's ability to return to seemingly normal behavior after these episodes
      doesn't seem to fit with botulism. I'm certainly no expert on avian disease
      though, so I'd love someone who has seen the effects of botulism in action to
      comment. Others have also suggested West Nile Virus as a possibility, but
      again, there were no dead birds there several days later.

      thanks

      Brian L. Sullivan
      PRBO Conservation Science
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA
      92108