Fall Seabirding 2004

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hello, Seabirders,
      Shearwater Journeys kicks off the fall season with our first pelagic trip
      from Monterey on Saturday, August 7th. Fall is the best time of year to see
      the greatest variety of seabirds along the central California coast. Every
      day is different, indeed, every hour can change as seabirds move offshore.
      Its a lot like birding at High Island, Texas or Cape May, New Jersey during
      migration‹news seabirds are constantly moving into the area to feed in our
      rich waters. One day on the ocean just barely touches the tip of the
      iceberg, and like birding in TX or NJ, one should try to spend as many days
      as possible to take in as many species as possible. Spectacular numbers of
      shearwaters, jaegers, Sabine's Gulls, Arctic Terns, and storm-petrels can
      sometimes be encountered on these trips. Food is not evenly distributed at
      sea, and therefore, seabirds can sometimes be concentrated in Monterey Bay,
      or sometimes at Bodega Canyon or Cordell Bank.

      The earliest fall migrants include: Black-footed Albatross, Arctic Tern,
      Sabine's Gull, and Long-tailed Jaeger. As the season moves forward, more
      diversity is found: Buller's, Pink-footed, Flesh-footed, and possibly
      Black-vented Shearwaters; some lingering Northen Fulmars might be around;
      Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers; South Polar Skua; Ashy, Black, Least,
      Fork-tailed and Wilson's Storm-Petrels; Red and Red-necked Phalaropes;
      Xantus' and Craveri's Murrelets; and Cassin's and Rhinoceros Auklets. Nearly
      all fall trips see Sooty Shearwaters, Common Murres, Pigeon Guillemots,
      Pelagic and Brandt's Cormorants; Brown Pelicans, California, Western, and
      Heermann's Gulls.

      Rare seabirds that have been found during this season by Shearwater
      Journeys' leaders include: "Shy" Albatross, Short-tailed Albatross,
      Great-winged Petrel, Dark-rumped Petrel; Streaked Shearwater, Cory's
      Shearwater, Greater Shearwater, Wedge-tailed Shearwater, Manx Shearwater,
      and Little Shearwater; Wedge-rumped Storm-Petrel; Red-billed Tropicbird and
      Red-tailed Tropicbird; Masked Booby and Brown Booby; Great Frigatebird;
      Thick-billed Murre; and Long-billed Murrelet.

      Our trips this fall include departures from Monterey, Bodega Bay, and Fort
      Bragg. The August 8 trip from Sausalito to the Farallon Islands to see the
      Tufted Puffins is sold out. From Monterey, we have trips on: August 7, 13,
      and 29; September 5, 11, 13, 24, and 25; October 1, 3, 8, 9, and 15;
      November 27. The albacore trips depart from Monterey at 5:30 am and return
      12 hours later: September 12 and October 2 and 10. These trips are usually
      excellent for finding murrelets and jaegers, and have sometimes found
      Red-tailed Tropicbird. From Bodega Bay, we travel to the Cordell Bank and
      Bodega Canyon on: August 15 and 23; September 10, 17, and 26; October 11.
      Some years seabird concentrations are very high off Bodega Bay, especially
      storm-petrels and Sabine's Gulls. From Fort Bragg, we have departures on
      August 17, 20, and 21; September 19 and 28; October 13. In five of the past
      six years, incredible "megararities" have been found on the Fort Bragg
      trips: Dark-rumped Petrel (twice), Markham's Storm-Petrel, Streaked
      Shearwater, and Yellow-billed Loon.

      Shearwater Journey's many excellent and friendly leaders will accompany each
      trips. Some leaders have the equivilent of many years at sea. Many of our
      leaders have expertise with seabirds throughout the world. Leaders include:
      Luke Cole, Ted Chandik, Jim Danzenbaker, Mike Danzenbaker, Jon Dunn,
      Jennifer Green, Alan Hopkins, Steve Howell, Lisa Hug, Al Jaramillo, Clay
      Kempf, John Luther, Gerry McChesney, Peter Pyle, Steve Rottenborn, Mike
      Rogers, John Sorensen, John Sterling, Tristan McKee, Mike San Miguel, Scott
      Terrill, Linda Terrill, Sophie Webb, Denise Wight, and our expert chummers:
      Matt Brady and David VanderPluym.

      We invite you to visit our web site to learn more about these exciting
      trips. We hope that you will join our expert crew to see the magnificent
      spectacle of seabirds off our coast. If you would like to be on our email
      list, please let us know. If you were on our list in the past, we had a
      computer glitch, and you may have been dropped accidently. Please let us
      know, if this is the case. See you at sea!

      Shearwaters forever,