Help with a vireo ID

  • Canyon Wren
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2004
      Hi You All,
      An Indiana birding friend of mine just returned from a trip to your
      beautiful state. He does not subscribe to this list so has asked me to post
      this for him. He is struggling with a vireo ID; Plumbeous or Cassin's.
      Here is what he wrote:

      "Sibley's does show Plumbeous being grayer on the upperparts and Cassin's
      being more green/yellow, and this bird was more green/yellow ....

      The range maps do show Cassin's breeding much further north, although
      according to the maps I'm looking at that range does extend down in CA, what
      looks like the mountain country. It's hard to tell, but it also seems that
      the maps would indicate that Plumbeous may breed in the same area, which
      would create a problem.

      I saw this bird at about 10am on July 20 in the Tuolumne Meadows section of
      Yosemite, just west of Tioga Pass. The altitude was 8,600 feet. Just over
      that pass is Mono Lake.

      An opinion from an expert in CA birds would be most welcome."

      So, you California experts, "What say ye?" Is Cassin's Vireo possible at
      the location my friend was at on July 20?

      Thanks for your responses either on or off list.

      Good Birding,
      Lynea

      Lynea Hinchman
      Michigan City, Indiana
      Heart of the Indiana Dunes
      canyonwren at comcast.net

      The truth is that everyone has obsessions. Most people manage them.
      Birders, however, indulge them. By the time you find yourself compiling
      lists and downloading software to manage, massage, and count birds,
      you---well, I---have become a hopeless addict. -- From "The Big Year: A
      Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession" by Mark Obmascik
    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2004
        Hi!

        Forgive me for my two cents, I'm not an expert :-), but, generally,
        Plumbeous is a great basin bird and is found in the extreme eastern
        mountains of California, mostly in pinyon-juniper, and Cassin's is the
        expected bird in the Sierras in mixed forests, including the Yosemite area.

        Regards,
        Ed

        Ed Stonick
        Pasadena, CA
        stonicks@...
        > An Indiana birding friend of mine just returned from a trip to your
        > beautiful state. He does not subscribe to this list so has asked me to
        post
        > this for him. He is struggling with a vireo ID; Plumbeous or Cassin's.
        > Here is what he wrote:
        >
        > "Sibley's does show Plumbeous being grayer on the upperparts and Cassin's
        > being more green/yellow, and this bird was more green/yellow ....
        >
        > The range maps do show Cassin's breeding much further north, although
        > according to the maps I'm looking at that range does extend down in CA,
        what
        > looks like the mountain country. It's hard to tell, but it also seems
        that
        > the maps would indicate that Plumbeous may breed in the same area, which
        > would create a problem.
        >
        > I saw this bird at about 10am on July 20 in the Tuolumne Meadows section
        of
        > Yosemite, just west of Tioga Pass. The altitude was 8,600 feet. Just
        over
        > that pass is Mono Lake.
        >
        > An opinion from an expert in CA birds would be most welcome."
        >
        > So, you California experts, "What say ye?" Is Cassin's Vireo possible at
        > the location my friend was at on July 20?
        >
        > Thanks for your responses either on or off list.
        >
        > Good Birding,
        > Lynea
        >
        > Lynea Hinchman
        > Michigan City, Indiana
        > Heart of the Indiana Dunes
        > canyonwren at comcast.net
        >
        > The truth is that everyone has obsessions. Most people manage them.
        > Birders, however, indulge them. By the time you find yourself compiling
        > lists and downloading software to manage, massage, and count birds,
        > you---well, I---have become a hopeless addict. -- From "The Big Year: A
        > Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession" by Mark Obmascik

        these addresses:

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Les Chibana
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2004
          I saw and heard Plumbeous Vireo (different song pitch and pattern) at
          the
          southern end of the Sierra Nevada Range at the Chimney Creek Campground
          (about 5,000 to 6,000 ft.) in southeastern Tulare Co. on 7/25/04. I
          think Cassin's
          V. also occur here. This is at the edge of the Great Basin in conifer
          forest next
          to high desert scrub. Sibley's range maps show this area as the "edge"
          of range
          for Plumbeous.

          Also, we refound the Grace's Warbler that was last reported on 6/29/04.
          It was
          foraging with the Plumbeous Vireo just uphill behind the camp host site.

          Les
          ---
          Les Chibana
          BirdNUTZ(tm) - Ornigasmic Birding
          em <les@...>
          web <http://www.birdnutz.com>
          ph 650-949-4335
          fx 650-949-4137
          snailmail: SR2 Box 335, La Honda CA 94020