AOU 45th Supplement is out

  • Lori Conrad
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23 10:28 PM
      I found this on another listserv. Since I hadn't seen it here yet, I thought I would forward it.

      Lori Conrad
      Hermosa Beach, CA

      The 45th Supplement to the AOU Checklist is now out. It was published in
      the July 2004 issue of the Auk 121(3):985-995. For those not familiar with
      the AOU Checklist, it governs taxonomy (including splits/lumps, common
      names, scientific names, and order) of North American species. Note that
      the ABA Checklist is what governs the publication of the ABA listers
      totals; the ABA typically issues their own report subsequent to the release
      of AOU supplements.

      Highlights (pertaining only to north of the Mexico border):

      1. The species Great-winged Petrel has been added to the checklist, based
      on west coast pelagic records.

      2. Cackling Goose has been split and is now a separate species from Canada
      Goose:

      a. Cackling Goose (Anser hutchinsii) [the small forms] includes the former
      Canada Goose subspecies hutchinsii [Richarson's], asiatica
      [Bering-extinct?], leucopareia [Aleutian], taverneri [part of the Lesser
      complex], and minima.

      b. Canada Goose (Anser canadensis) now includes the subspecies canadensis
      [Atlantic], interior [Interior], maxima [Giant], moffitti [Moffit's],
      parvipes [the other part of the Lesser complex], fulva [Vancouver], and
      occidentalis [Dusky].

      The Checklist committee telegraphs that more splits of this complex may be
      yet to come. [The separation of the Lesser complex may present a field
      challenge.] For a good treatment of Canada Goose subspecies (prior to the
      release of this supplement), check Angus Wilson's web site at ...

      http://www.oceanwanderers.com/CAGO.Subspecies.html

      3. The common name Mongolian Plover is now Lesser Sand-plover, to agree
      with modern Old World literature.

      4. Greater Sand-plover is added to the main checklist, based on the
      record from California.

      5. The common name Spoonbill Sandpiper has been changed to Spoon-billed
      Sandpiper.

      6. The common name Jungle Nightjar has been changed to Gray Nightjar to
      agree with modern Old World literature.

      7. Willow Warbler has been moved from the Appendix and added to the main
      checklist, based on the record from Gambell, AK.

      8. Lesser Whitethroat is added to the checklist, based on the record from
      Gambell, AK.

      9. The common name of Siberian Flycatcher has been changed to Dark-sided
      Flycatcher to agree with modern Old World literature.

      10. The common name of Gray-spotted Flycatcher has been changed to
      Gray-streaked Flycatcher to agree with modern Old World literature.

      11. Spotted Flycatcher has been added to the checklist base on the record
      from Gambell, AK.

      12. The western Alaska subspecies of Yellow Wagtail has been split from the
      Yellow Wagtail complex and now appears on the checklist as the Eastern
      Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla tschutschensis). (This is the only "yellow"
      wagtail on the AOU checklist.)

      13. Rufous-tailed Robin has been added to the appendix (not the main
      checklist) based on a record from Attu.

      14. Blue Rock Thrush has been added to the appendix (not the main
      checklist) based on a record from British Columbia.

      15. There are numerous changes to scientific names.