Del Norte Co. Com. Eider

  • BCA
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2004
      The Common Eider is still present in Crescent City as of this
      afternoon, Wednesday the 7th. The bird, originally found by Chuck &
      Barbara Vaughn on Sunday the 5th near Battery Point Lighthouse, was
      relocated this morning by Krysta Rogers and Brian Acord at 09:50
      today on some rocks near the base of Castle Rock. The bird was
      sitting at water level. However, in the afternoon today, the bird was
      seen flying back to the Battery Point area, according to a message
      left on the Arcata Birdbox. My suggestion for finding the bird is to
      scan the coast with a scope at any of the many pull-outs from Battery
      Point north to Castle Rock.

      For more information, 707-822-LOON (5666) is the number for the
      Arcata Birdbox serving Humboldt and Del Norte Counties.

      ~B
      Brian Acord
      Graduate Research Assistant
      Department of Wildlife
      Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
      707-826-3581
      snowyplover@...
    • laurence
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2004
        We were fortunate to see the Common Eider in Crescent City on July 7th about 10:40 AM. We would have missed it without the help of a very nice local birder and a helpful couple from LA. The Castle Rock area was clear but breezy. Both the other parties had high vehicles providing needed wind breaks for the stability of the scopes. Thank you.

        Laurence and Barbara Taylor

        130 Westgate Cir

        Santa Rosa, CA 95401

        707/528-8602

[...]