Inyo County Brown Pelican

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2004
      At 08:35 AM 7/7/2004 +0000, you wrote:

      >Brad and everybody,
      >If you can't find any Brown Pelicans at the beach or Salton Sea, try
      >Phoenix and other parts of SE Arizona, where several have been reported
      >this last week.
      >Tom

      Here in coastal San Mateo county the northward move of pelicans started
      early and has been strong all spring and summer. What seems different to
      me, but perhaps I have not looked carefully enough in previous years, is
      the seemingly high abundance of juvenile birds. It appears that more than
      50% of all Brown Pelicans I am seeing, and maybe even closer to 75% at
      times are juveniles. I mean fresh juveniles, not one year old birds which
      look similar but are moulting inner primaries right now. It suggests that
      there has been a superbly successful breeding season down south for the
      pelicans. Anyone out there that can confirm or reject this? I would like to
      know if the numbers of juveniles I am seeing here actually means something,
      or not.

      thanks

      Alvaro

      Alvaro Jaramillo