Re: [CALBIRDS] Inyo County Brown Pelican

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2004
      Brad and everybody,
      If you can't find any Brown Pelicans at the beach or Salton Sea, try Phoenix and other parts of SE Arizona, where several have been reported this last week.
      Tom

      > From: "Brad Schram" <gonebrdn@...>
      > Date: 2004/07/02 Fri AM 10:16:54 CDT
      > To: "Calbirds" <calbirds@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [CALBIRDS] Inyo County Brown Pelican
      >
      > Yesterday, while driving south on Hwy. 395 west of Owens Lake, we saw an imm. BROWN PELICAN flying north, low over sage brush, between 395 and the lake. The bird disappeared on a northerly heading. Needless to say, Brown Pelican is a rare bird in Inyo County.
      >
      > Brad Schram
      > Arroyo Grande, CA

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      page: (310) 366-9990
      cell: (626) 390-1935

      FRS radio channel 11 code 22

      thomas_miko@...

      http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
    • Alvaro Jaramillo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2004
        At 08:35 AM 7/7/2004 +0000, you wrote:

        >Brad and everybody,
        >If you can't find any Brown Pelicans at the beach or Salton Sea, try
        >Phoenix and other parts of SE Arizona, where several have been reported
        >this last week.
        >Tom

        Here in coastal San Mateo county the northward move of pelicans started
        early and has been strong all spring and summer. What seems different to
        me, but perhaps I have not looked carefully enough in previous years, is
        the seemingly high abundance of juvenile birds. It appears that more than
        50% of all Brown Pelicans I am seeing, and maybe even closer to 75% at
        times are juveniles. I mean fresh juveniles, not one year old birds which
        look similar but are moulting inner primaries right now. It suggests that
        there has been a superbly successful breeding season down south for the
        pelicans. Anyone out there that can confirm or reject this? I would like to
        know if the numbers of juveniles I am seeing here actually means something,
        or not.

        thanks

        Alvaro

        Alvaro Jaramillo