Common Eider in Crescent City

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2004
      Greetings Calbirders: At 11 this morning my wife and I found a male Common
      Eider in alternate plumage off the Battery Point Lighthouse in Crescent
      City. The bird was within 250 yards immediately west of the
      Lighthouse. We have just returned home, and I have been told that the bird
      is still being seen.

      Chuck Vaughn

      *********************************
      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2004
        On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:55:26 -0700, Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
        <cevaughn@...> wrote:

        >Greetings Calbirders: At 11 this morning my wife and I found a male Common
        >Eider in alternate plumage off the Battery Point Lighthouse in Crescent
        >City. The bird was within 250 yards immediately west of the
        >Lighthouse. We have just returned home, and I have been told that the bird
        >is still being seen.

        Thanks to a contribution from Ron LeValley, I have posted three images of
        this bird taken late yesterday at:

        http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

        This appears to be the first confirmed record for California.

        Enjoy!

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...
        California Birding & new rarities http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2004
          does anyone know if the eider is still there?
          laurence taylor
          santa rosa ca
          <cevaughn@...> wrote:

          >Greetings Calbirders: At 11 this morning my wife and I found a male Common
          >Eider in alternate plumage off the Battery Point Lighthouse in Crescent
          >City. The bird was within 250 yards immediately west of the
          >Lighthouse. We have just returned home, and I have been told that the bird
          >is still being seen.

          Thanks to a contribution from Ron LeValley, I have posted three images of
          this bird taken late yesterday at:

          http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

          This appears to be the first confirmed record for California.

          Enjoy!

          --
          Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...
          California Birding & new rarities http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Ron LeValley
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6, 2004
            The eider was apparently seen from the end of 5th Street in Crescent City
            this morning. A message was posted to the Arcata Bird Box around 8:00 a.m.,
            but it may be hard to get through with the attention on the eider and all of
            the great birds that Ken Irwin keeps finding...

            Good luck!

            Ron

            Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
            ron@...
            707/839-0900
            Fax 839-0867
            www.madriverbio.com
            Mad River Biologists
            1497 Central Avenue
            McKinleyville, CA 95519

            <cevaughn@...> wrote:

            >Greetings Calbirders: At 11 this morning my wife and I found a male
            Common
            >Eider in alternate plumage off the Battery Point Lighthouse in Crescent
            >City. The bird was within 250 yards immediately west of the
            >Lighthouse. We have just returned home, and I have been told that the
            bird
            >is still being seen.

            Thanks to a contribution from Ron LeValley, I have posted three images of
            this bird taken late yesterday at:

            http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

            This appears to be the first confirmed record for California.

            Enjoy!

            --
            Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...
            California Birding & new rarities http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/