MTY updates

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
      The "Monterey County highlight" page for 2004 has just been updated with
      a summary of the fabulous spring at Big Sur R. mouth and elsewhere by
      BSOL banders and birders like Rob Fowler. Many photos at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2004.html

      I'd also like to mention that the Heermann's Gull colony on Roberts Lake
      [please note spelling; there is NO apostrophe in "Roberts Lake" and it
      is named for Dr. Roberts, so your proposed apostrophe, although wrong,
      would be in the wrong spot anyway] in Seaside was SUCCESSFUL again. On 3
      June, four nests had 2 youngsters each. Now, on my return from oversaes,
      I find nine juvenal birds have hatched from the colony, and they are out
      of the nests, learning to fly. So at least 9 babies hatched from a
      minimum of 9 nests (but it looks like half the nests failed; the
      successful ones had 2 each plus perhaps one had 3?).

      Don Roberson
      MTY county compiler
    • Mitchell Waite
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
        The advisory board I assembled is debating what colors to use for a key to
        identifying birds. There is a question about what colors people can identify
        easily. Some want to just use primary colors, others think we can include
        colors like rufous, olive, etc. To help settle the issue one of the
        ornithologists on the board suggested I put together a short color matching
        test.

        I would very much appreciate if anyone on this board would be willing to
        take the test. I will share results once I get enough answers. The test is
        anonymous, no names are recorded. Here is the link.

        http://www.percevia.com/ColorMatch.htm

        Thanks

        Mitch
      • Mitchell Waite
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2004
          George we set up a new test at

          http://www.percevia.com/ColorMatch2.htm

          That eliminates the problems in the first test.

          Mitch

          > Mitch,
          > I took the color matching survey. The color chips are gradated
          > from top to bottom on what appears to be saturation, however, to my
          > eye on my screen, there is also a variation in hue and purity. This
          > confounded the choices for me, particularly in the buff/gray/tan
          > ranges and the red/pink range.
          >
          > George Chaniot

          Mitchell Waite
          Mitch Waite Group
          160 C Donahue Street
          Suite 226
          Sausalito CA 94965
        • Don Roberson
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 16, 2006
            I have just updated the "Monterey County highlights" page with new
            photos of Crested Caracara in Carmel, and, thanks to Tim Amaral, the
            Painted Bunting at his feeder. As these species are of wider interest in
            the State, I've also posted this update to Calbird (something I don't
            normally do). The updated page is at
            http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2006.html

            Don Roberson
            MTY subregional NAB editor