Buckman Springs-Gray Vireos and Scotts' Orioles (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2004
      Hi, all!

      Today Marjorie Hastings went with me to bird a couple of roads in the
      Buckman Springs area. We first went up "Hang-Glide Hill", which was still a little
      nippy cuz the sun hadn't hit it yet, but by the time we got to the top we
      had picked up some interesting things, including Gray Vireo and Scott's Oriole.
      A cute female-type Black-chinned Sparrow popped up as well, and a
      Rufous-crowned called from the jump-off point at the top.

      Next we went to Corral Canyon and had the usual oak woodland fare going in.
      Last time I had to stop at the campground near Four Corners because there
      was a big "lake" covering the road, but it was dry as a bone this time, and we
      made the whole loop, circling back around to where you get a marvelous view
      of Lake Morena from on high! You have to be careful between mile 11 and 12,
      though, because the main road does a major hairpin turn to the left, and if
      you're not careful, you can end up going straight onto what LOOKS like the main
      road, but peters out down the way (according to the map). There's no
      signage here, either, so you just have to watch for it. But right around mile 13
      we had yet another singing Gray Vireo, and at the lake overlook TWO Scott's
      Orioles showed off! The road is fairly good for the most part; Jip made it
      fine, but there are some bumps and ruts to look out for. The whole route was
      16.5 miles, starting from the intersection with Buckman Springs Road, and
      ending where the loop comes back out at Four Corners. Nothing else really of
      note; just the normal chaparral/oak woodland fare, but the scenery was
      spectacular! Bird list:

      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Western Wood-Pewee Contopus sordidulus
      Ash-throated Flycatcher Myiarchus cinerascens
      Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis
      Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota
      Phainopepla Phainopepla nitens
      Rock Wren Salpinctes obsoletus
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      Gray Vireo Vireo vicinior
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Rufous-crowned Sparrow Aimophila ruficeps
      Black-chinned Sparrow Spizella atrogularis
      Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus
      Black-headed Grosbeak Pheucticus melanocephalus
      Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii
      Scott's Oriole Icterus parisorum

      39 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe