sibley juvenile nuttalls

  • laurence
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2004
      I have noted what may be an error in The Sibley Guide to Birds First Edition Published October 2000.

      On page 316 the juvenile Nuttall's Woodpecker is shown. The red on the head of the juvenile is at the back of the head in the book. In at least 2 cases we have observed the juvenile has red at the front of the head, not at the back.

      We have at least 2 pairs of an adult female Nuttall's and a juvenile Nuttall's coming to our feeder, that is the female comes to the feeder and then flies to the juvenile and feeds it in a nearby tree. In both cases the juvenile's red spot is definitely at the front of the head.

      Is this an error in Sibley? Has anyone else observed a juvenile Nuttall's? I do not have The Sibley Western Birds but am wondering if the same picture occurs of the juvenile?

      I have been unable to get a picture.

      Laurence Taylor

      130 Westgate Cir

      Santa Rosa, CA 95401

      707/528-8602

      laurence@...

    • B & C Yutzy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2004
        Sibley's Western Guide shows the reddish on juvenile Nuttall's mid-crown to
        forecrown.

        We have also noted the reddish on the forecrown of juveniles.

        Bob & Carol Yutzy
        Shasta, California