interesting bird interaction

  • Ruth Rudesill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2004
      I live in Kenwood which is in Sonoma Valley. This morning I was exercising my dogs in my field and it was pretty quiet -save the PS Flycatcher calling off and on. I heard a rasping call high overhead. It sounded like a Caspian Tern and that is a very uncommon bird flying in my neighborhood.

      I looked up and to my amazement it was a Caspian Tern diving on a Golden Eagle soaring over, heading west. The tern kept calling and diving on it. The eagle just soared on.

      I can't figure out why the tern was chasing this eagle, it didn't seem to have prey and it couldn't be near a tern nest.

      Ruth Rudesill
      Kenwood, Sonoma Co