N. Sierras hotspot

  • Brad_Bergstrom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25 2:59 PM
      With all the talk of Yuba Pass, I thought I'd report (one week late, to
      the day) a good morning of high-elevation birding at nearby Plumas-Eureka
      State Park, specifically between the campground and the first mile or two
      of dirt road heading west (this eventually leads all the way to LaPorte).

      Just to mention a few of the morning's 40+ species, it was good for this
      southeasterner to find plenty of singing Hermit Warblers, Fox Sparrows,
      and Cassin's Finches; also Olive-sided and Dusky Flycatchers. Displaying
      male Anna's and Calliope hummingbirds were also numerous. But best of all
      were the several calling Mountain Quail, one of which I finally managed to
      glimpse (as it flushed).

      As gravy, I snapped these two target birds right in the campground:

      http://www.valdosta.edu/~bergstrm/plumas.html

      BTW, it was also kind of some CA birders to point out the nesting
      Black-backed Woodpeckers and Williamson's Sapsuckers at Yuba Pass, both
      scopable from one spot near the campground, the former nearly fledged on
      the 18th.

      Finally, don't know if it's noteworthy, but I glimpsed a Eurasian
      Collared-Dove on the commercial strip in Redding the previous day.

      Brad
      Brad Bergstrom, Ph.D., Professor TEL 229-333-5770 /-5759
      Department of Biology FAX 229-245-6585
      Valdosta State University e-mail: bergstrm@...
      Valdosta, GA 31698-0015 Home: 229-333-0743
      Home Page-- http://www.valdosta.edu/~bergstrm/