Re: [CALBIRDS] Hooded Oriole Nesting trees

  • Bill Bousman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20 1:09 PM
      At 01:53 PM 6/19/04, tapaculo wrote:
      >Hi Birders -
      >
      >I have always known HOODED ORIOLES to nest in Washington Fan Palms,
      >nearly exclusively. However, I have heard of a few exceptions, but I
      >don't remember which they were. Today, in my backyard, I discovered a
      >HOODED ORIOLE nest in my sycamore. The nest seems to be woven from
      >grasses or from strips of palm leaves. It is on the north side of the
      >tree, at the bottom of hanging branches about 15 feet up.
      >
      >Any info on what other tree species these orioles have nested in would
      >be welcome.

      Alvaro Jaramillo has not jumped in, so from his book with Burke (Jaramillo,
      A., and P. Burke. 1999. New World Blackbirds, the Icterids. Princeton
      University Press, New Jersey, pp. 189-193), he notes: "Non-palm Hooded
      Oriole nests in California have been found fastened to Pepper Tree (Schinus
      molle), oaks (Quercus sp.), Umbrella Trees, Eucalyptus, Sycamore (Platanus
      sp.) and man-made structures"

      It's very interesting to hear that they have also used bigleaf maples and
      orange trees. Locally, in Santa Clara County, where they use some of these
      other trees on occasion, it appears that they still construct the nest from
      fibers stripped from nearby Washington fan palms.

      Bill Bousman
      Menlo Park