Yellow Rail

  • TEdell@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2001
      Bill Bouton, Mike Stiles, Dave Lawrence and I birded Arroyo de La Cruz (San
      Luis Obispo County) this morning.   We did not encounter many migrants, which
      is often the case there.
      We decided to walk out in to the freshwater marsh northeast of the creek
      mouth (along
      the west side of the road).  The marsh is cris-crossed with cattle trails.
      While crossing the marsh, Bill and I had a small rail flush from our feet.
      The bird flew directly away from us (sun behind us) no more than four feet
      off the ground (just enough to clear the tallest scirpus) and landed about 20
      feet away.  White secondaries were the only obvious field mark we saw in the
      short, two to three second look we had of the bird flying away. Bill noted
      that the back was streaked with brown and gray and neither of us noted any
      chestnut or reddish tones. From our research, the white secondaries appear to
      be diagnostic and it is our feeling that the bird was a YELLOW RAIL. Is this
      considered a diagnostic feature for this rail?

      We walked back and forth through this marsh several more times without seeing
      the bird.  If anyone is considering looking for the bird be advised that this
      is not an easy place to refind it even though the marsh is less than an acre
      in size.

      We also saw a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW along highway fenceline.

      Highway 1 crosses Arroyo de La Cruz north of Point Piedras Blancas in coastal
      northern San Luis Obispo County.

      Tom Edell
      Cayucos, CA
      tedell@...

    • rdburnett
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
        Hi Folks, I was up yesterday at Willow Lake and heard a/the Yellow Rail at the spot Peter Gaede reported last week. I ran into some birders that were confused about where the bird was so i thought i would clarify Peter's directions a bit. From the Willow Lake campground follow the trail up the NE side of the lake/wetland (actually traveling NW) up above the lake. Approximately 200m above the lake (about 600m from the parking area) and about 200m before the National Park boundary (which denoted by a split rail fence and open gate across the trail) you will find Peter's X made with two sticks (someone has now added an arrow out of sticks as well). From the trail you can hear the rail just about 20m away down in the meadow. It looks like someone has walked out in the meadow here - please protect the meadow, sedge sprites, and rails by keeping out of the meadow. I heard the bird at noon yesterday and numerous other folks have easily heard them at all times of day. Willow Lake is also a great spot for Sora, Virginia Rail, Snipe, Willow Flycatcher, Pileated Woodpecker, and a wide range of other mountain birds. Good luck, Ryan