Barred Owl in Fresno County

  • Jeff Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2004
      Dear Calbirders --

      On June 1, 2004, seasoned US Forest Service owlers discovered a Barred Owl
      near Sequoia Lake, which is about 50 miles east of Fresno near the
      Fresno-Tulare County line. George Steger, the wildlife biologist who
      oversees the Spotted Owl demographic study in the area, photographed the
      bird on June 3, and reports that it appears to be a pure Barred Owl rather
      than a mixed "sparred owl."

      This species was previously reported in the Sierra south only to Nevada
      County, but George told me of a pair on the Eldorado National Forest that
      owlers discovered in 2003.

      The Fresno County record is especially intriguing in light of a paper
      published in Conservation Biology last year. The authors, using an
      ecological-niche model, predicted that "...Barred Owls have the potential to
      invade as far south as 38 degrees N latitude." So 36 degrees is clearly
      remarkable, at least based on this model. Where will they show up next?

      I don't know exactly where the bird was seen, and George hopes, for the sake
      of the Spotted Owls and their young in the area, that no one will disturb
      the Barred Owl, which he believes could respond by driving off the Spotted
      Owls.

      Jeff Davis
      Prather, CA