catching Clark's nutcrackers!

  • blackburnians
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2004
      Hi All,

      I am a PhD student working on the ecology and evolution of Clark's
      nutcrackers. As part of my dissertation work I am doing a population
      genetic analysis of nutcrackers. Some preliminary data suggests that
      nutcrackers are differentiating east and west of the Great Basin. I
      need to collect blood samples from California nutcrackers to finish
      this project.

      Do any of you fellow birders have any good spots where you
      consistently see nutcrackers coming down? For example do you have
      them coming down to parking lots, cabins, etc. Do any of you feed
      nutcrackers, or have them coming down to your yards regularly? If
      so, could I catch them in your yard?

      Nutcrackers would be caught using standardized and approved
      protocols using a "Potter trap." Birds would be held very briefly to
      make measurements and draw a small sample of blood from the bird.

      Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

      Take care,

      Adam

      Adam M. Siepielski
      Program in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
      Department of Biology
      MSC3AF
      New Mexico State University
      Las Cruces, NM 88003