New CBC musings

  • Dan Cooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2004
      Birders,

      I recently did an overlay of California Important Bird
      Areas (IBAs) and Christmas Bird Count circles (CBCs)
      throughout the state, and found some interesting
      things. First, over 100 of the 150 IBAs are partially
      or wholly covered by existing CBCs. Looking at which
      "uncovered" IBAs ranked highest in terms of sensitive
      species diversity and relatively large concentrations
      of birds in winter, I found that a handful of IBAs
      could be ideally suited for new CBCs.

      (Incidentally, I started at CBC at one of these, Santa
      Clarita, this past year, and it was a great
      experience, both in terms of the birds we found, as
      well as galvanizing local support for bird
      conservation in an "underserved" area -
      Newhall/Valencia.)

      I'd be curious to learn if anyone has considered
      running CBCs in the following areas (forgive me if
      there are brand new or "extinct" CBCs that people were
      involved in that I don't know about):

      Petaluma-Vallejo (Sonoma/Napa Co.)
      Kern NWR/Pixley NWR (Kern/Tulare Co.)
      Mendota (Fresno Co.)
      Richmond-Pinole (Contra Costa Co.)
      Lake Elsinore (Riverside Co.)
      Temecula-Winchester (Riverside Co.)
      Vacaville-Fairfield (Solano Co.)
      Puente Hills (Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Orange Co.)
      Julian/Lake Cuyamaca (San Diego Co.)

      Thanks, and thanks especially to Jim Gain of
      Stanislaus Audubon Soc. for developing and posting
      excellent maps with CBC circles.

      Dan Cooper
      Audubon California
      Los Angeles
      dcooper AT audubon.org

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Douglas Shaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2004
        Hi All,

        I thought National Audubon has a stipulation of how close count circles can be from one another? What is this distance? Petaluma seems to be rather close to the Santa Rosa Count that is in eastern Sonoma County.

        Thanks,
        Doug Shaw
        Santa Rosa, CA
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Chris Conard
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2004
          Hi folks,

          I'm not sure of any rule on this, but, for example, the Sacramento CBC and
          the Rio Cosumnes CBC come within about five miles of each other. My only
          concern would be that there needs to be ample volunteer support for a new
          CBC. Tim Manolis pointed this out last year when it came up on CV Birds.
          Some of the long-running CBCs are currently under supported. There are a
          few coveted weekend dates and it is sometimes hard to get people to commit
          to a new count, one on a weekday, or one away from a major population
          center. Just something to keep in mind.

          Best,

          Chris Conard
          Sacramento
          > I thought National Audubon has a stipulation of how close count circles
          can be from one another? What is this distance? Petaluma seems to be rather
          close to the Santa Rosa Count that is in eastern Sonoma County.

          > Thanks,
          > Doug Shaw
          > Santa Rosa, CA

          these addresses: