Molera's On Fire!!

  • migratoriusfwlr@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2004
      Hey Birders,
      Well its been another spectacular day here at Molera. The most spectacular find today was a singing male MOURNING WARBLER. In between net runs I went over to the trail that leads to the campground. Here I enjoyed watching 1 of the singing male BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLERS, (at least 2 singing males arrived today), and found a Black-headed Grosbeak nest. Then, I heard a bird that I didn't quite recognize but sounded like an OPORORNIS.This spot is right where the trail from the parking lot to the campground goes up an incline. On the left hand side you will see a trail that cuts off the main, right before a huge oak tree. Scott, Linda, and Ryan Terrill, Tim Amaral, and Judy West came to meet me after I called them on the radio. Within 2-3 minutes of hearing the bird singing the MOWA popped up right in front of Scott, Linda, Ryan, and Tim. The bird sang in front of them a couple of times. All of them had excellent looks at the bird. We followed the bird for about 5 minutes, getting brief views and then it flew off and disappeared and was not refound; even with Scott playing tapes of its song.
      As far as the other birds go...... All of the other birds are still around minus the WHITE-EYED VIREO and nobody saw the redstart that David Vander Pluym and Matt Brady found. Scott, Linda, and Ryan actually got video of the YELLOW-THROATED VIREO beating the life out of a large caterpillar which might of been from a Western Tiger Swallowtail.
      New today were a female HOODED WARBLER that we banded (BSOL), 2 singing BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLERs (1 adult, 1 second year), and finally we found a female NORTHERN PARULA to pair up with the male that has been singing his heart out in hopes of finding his perfect mate. After I left, Scott, Linda, and Ryan had what they were pretty sure was a singing MAGNOLIA WARBLER. They never got good looks at the bird.
      So as far as the weather goes it is extremely windy today, coming from the north, and will probably hold up to this evening which might mean that all of these birds will stick around and maybe even more will drop in. If you are birding somewhere else tommorow and you are close to Molera seriously consider coming down here. This is the best spring ever at Molera and is probably the best spring vagrant season ever in Monterey county. There is no other spot in California that has had so many vagrants, and quality ones this spring (like CERULEAN WARBLER-Ryan T. told me I should say that). So come on down and enjoy the sounds of singing Black-and-white Warblers, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Chestnut-sided Warbler, etc., etc. I'll be out of town this weekend so find something good also.....

      Rob Fowler
      Big Sur Ornithology Lab