North American Birds Reminder Spring 2004

  • sgloverccc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      June 1, 2004
      Dear North American Birds Contributors,
      The spring season has already come to a close so please send your noteworthy
      records from the Middle Pacific Coast Region for the period 1 March-31 May to
      the appropriate Subregional Editors (see below) or to the Regional Editors by
      10 June.
      Please pay special attention to the format example given at the end of this
      message. Reports that are formatted properly make our job far easier. In
      particular, it is important to note that there is a single tab between species,
      date, etc.

      PLEASE use Subregional Editors for the counties that have them. These SREs
      painstakingly keep track of records within their counties and are in most cases
      THE source of information on the birds of their counties. By sending your
      records to the SREs, you are helping to contribute to their county files as well
      as to North American Birds. If you wish to send copies to the Regional
      Editors, we welcome them, but please send records through the SREs as well. If you
      have a noteworthy winter sighting from a county without a Subregional Editor,
      please send records to the Regional Editors below.

      Records of loons-frigatebirds and larids-alcids go to Scott Terrill and Tom
      Ryan at:
      H.T. Harvey & Associates
      3150 Almaden Expwy., Suite 145
      San Jose, CA 95118
      sterrill@...

      Records of herons to shorebirds go to Mike Rogers at:
      499 Novato Ave.
      Sunnyvale, CA 94086
      m.m.rogers@...

      Records of doves through thrushes/Wrentit (in the new AOU order, that
      includes vireos and shrikes) go to Steve Glover at:
      6526 Conestoga Lane
      Dublin, CA 94568
      Sgloverccc@...

      Records of thrashers to finches go to Luke Cole at:
      561 Hill Street

      San Francisco, CA 94114
      luke@...

      SUBREGIONAL EDITORS

      Alameda

      Bob Richmond
      24650 Amador St. #15
      Hayward, CA 94544
      BRichmondALA@...

      Alpine & Calaveras
      John Sterling
      Jones & Stokes Associates
      2600 V Street
      Sacramento, CA 95818-1914
      ani@...

      Amador & El Dorado
      Tim Steurer
      4042 Bancroft Dr.
      El Dorado Hills, CA 95762-6933
      tsteurer@...

      Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Sutter, Tehama, Yuba
      Bruce Deuel
      18730 Live Oak Road
      Red Bluff, CA 96080
      bdeuel@...

      Contra Costa

      Steve Glover
      6526 Conestoga Lane
      Dublin CA 94568
      Sgloverccc@...

      Del Norte
      Alan D. Barron
      1093 Hwy 101 N. #18
      Crescent City, CA 95531
      flockfinder@...

      Fresno
      Gary W. Potter
      2183 Walton Ave
      Sanger, CA 93657
      gwpott@...

      Humboldt
      David Fix and Jude Claire Power
      P.O. Box 4331
      Arcata, CA 95518
      dfxjcp@...

      Kings

      Luke Cole
      561 Hill Street
      San Francisco, CA 94114
      luke@...

      Lake
      Jerry R. White
      P.O. Box 113
      Kelseyville, CA 95451
      grwhite@...

      Lassen
      Tim Manolis
      808 El Encino Way
      Sacramento, CA 95864
      ylightfoot@...

      Mariposa
      David Vander Pluym
      1683 Buena Vista St.
      Ventura, CA 93001
      SCRE@...

      Mendocino
      Bob Keiffer
      P. O. Box 354
      Hopland CA 95449
      rjkeiffer@...

      Merced and San Benito
      Kent Van Vuren
      26 Vista Dr.
      Salinas, CA 93907
      vanvurenk@...

      Modoc
      John Sterling
      Jones & Stokes Associates
      2600 V St.
      Sacramento, CA 95818-1914
      ani@...

      Mono
      Kristie Nelson
      P.O. Box 402
      Lee Vining, CA 93541
      storm_petrel@...

      Monterey
      Don Roberson
      282 Grove Acre
      Pacific Grove CA 93950
      831-373-2566fax
      creagrus@...

      Napa & Solano
      Robin Leong
      336 Benson Ave.
      Vallejo, CA 94590-3027
      robin_leong@...

      Nevada
      Brian Williams
      8200 Turner Dr.
      Granite Bay, CA 95746
      bwcal@...

      Placer
      Ed Pandolfino
      5530 Del Rose Court
      Carmichael, CA 95608
      erpfromca@...

      Plumas & Sierra
      John "Mac" McCormick
      2351 Filbert St.
      Apt. #102
      San Francisco, CA 94123
      macmc94123@...

      Sacramento and Yolo
      Chris Conard
      2405 Rio Bravo Circle
      Sacramento, CA 95826
      chris.conard@...

      San Francisco (mainland)
      The City: Mark Eaton
      1524 36th Avenue
      San Francisco, CA 94122
      mweaton@...

      San Joaquin
      David G. Yee
      11707 N. Alpine Rd.
      Lodi, CA 95240
      davidyee@...

      San Mateo
      Peter J. Metropulos
      470 Middlefield Rd.
      Atherton, CA 94027
      pjmetrop@...

      Santa Clara
      William G. Bousman
      321 Arlington Way
      Menlo Park CA 94025
      barlowi@...

      Santa Cruz
      David Suddjian
      801 Monterey Ave.
      Capitola, CA 95010
      DSUDDJIAN@...

      Shasta

      Bob Yutzy
      P. O. Box 990237
      Redding CA 96099
      boby@...

      Siskiyou
      Ray Ekstrom
      2209 Delphic Rd.
      Montague, CA 96064

      Sonoma
      Ruth Rudesill
      P.O. Box 371
      Kenwood, CA 95452
      rar@...

      Stanislaus
      Jim Gain
      1721 Candler Lane
      Modesto, CA 95355
      jimgain@...

      Trinity
      John E. Hunter
      P.O. Box 4483
      Arcata, CA 95518
      jhunter323@...

      Tuolumne
      Steven Umland
      15818 Parkridge Ave.
      Sonora, CA 95370
      sumland@...

      We currently have no regional editors for Madera, Marin, and Tulare Counties.
      Records from these counties should be sent directly to the Regional Editors.

      The Reporting Deadlines are:
      Spring Summer Fall Winter

      Season ends May 31 July 31 Nov 30 Feb 28

      Observer reports to Subregional Editors (SREs)
      June 10 Aug 10 Dec 10 Mar 10

      Observer reports to Regional Editors (if not sent to SRE)
      June 10 Aug 10 Dec 10 Mar 10

      SRE reports to Regional Editors
      June 20 Aug 20 Dec 20 Mar 20

      Regional Editors final text to ABA office
      July 10 Sep 10 Jan 10 Apr 10

      PLEASE meet your deadlines so that we can meet our deadlines!

      Please send reports in our preferred order: species, date(s) [including
      year], locale, co. abbrev., number of birds, and observer, and then, on a second
      line, any comments. Please separate these sections by a "tab" (except just a
      space between locale and county abbreviation) on electronic versions submitted.
      Again, here's an example of the correct format:
      Grace's Warbler 12/13/98-2/20/99 Jacks Peak MTY
      1 RFT, mob
      A second record for the Region (the first was 6/26/91 at Deer Spring, Gl
      ass Mt. MNO) which wintered with a large flock of Townsend's & Hermit warblers
      at the very top of Jacks Peak in Jacks Peak Regional Park. Details by Tintle
      and others are enclosed.
      Many observers and Subregional Editors have been submitting their reports
      electronically, either on a diskette or by e-mail. PLEASE submit electronic
      reports if possible. We are trying to maintain an electronic database of at least
      recent records, and we hope to be able to have all old data entered
      eventually so that the entire database will be easily accessible to anyone who wants
      it. Electronic submission of records in the format described above makes it
      much easier for us maintain this electronic database.
      We've heard questions about, comments on, and criticism of our regional
      reports from several observers and SREs. We really appreciate this feedback, as it
      helps us to better represent what is going on in the Region as a whole.
      Please help us correct any factual errors we make, and don't hesitate to let us
      know what you think of the reports.
      Many thanks to all the contributors and Subregional Editors who make these
      reports possible!
      Sincerely,
      Luke Cole, Mike Rogers, Scott Terrill, and Steve Glover
      (Middle Pacific Coast Regional Editors)