Yellow-throated Warbler at Furnace Creek

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      Yesterday morning 31 May, Rita Carratello and I birded Furnace Creek
      Ranch (FCR). It was a very slow morning in general with but a few
      migrants: Common Yellowthroats, Yellow & Wilson's Warblers, a couple
      late Yellow-rumped Warblers. And only a couple of other birders, none
      of whom I knew. At about 8 a.m. I did have brief but good looks at a
      YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER (albilora) along the north edge of the palm
      grove in the middle of FCR, in the row of tamarisks there. Alas, it
      was very flighty with a couple other warblers and almost immediately
      disappeared toward the 8th fairway which, as I understand it now, is
      inaccessible to birders when golfers are there. This is presumably
      the same YTWA found on 29 May by David VanderPluym and seen by a host
      of others (e.g., Terrills, Howes).

      Also of note was a Common Poorwill flushed from piles of brush at the
      extreme northwest corner of the golf course (it was a FCR bird for me;
      we got two nice looks as it flushed short distances); the largest pond
      in that corner had a male Redhead not there the evening before (but
      the male Ring-necked Duck there on 30 May was gone); and in the date
      palms in the NE corner, behind the golf check-in hut, were a
      half-dozen Inca Doves (presumably nesting here now?) and a "vagrant"
      (?) Eur. Collared-Dove. [whoopie]

      From Joe's web site, the pages that were once the place to report
      MNO/INY bird sightings appear no longer to exist. What has happened
      to them? Also, where does one now report FCR birds? We reported to
      the s. CA Bird Box (when we could get to a spot with cell phone
      coverage) but most of the other birds of interest over the weekend
      were not reported there (VanderPluym's message was the only one;
      nothing about Kern Co., for example, for those birding in SE Calif).
      Why not? Further, the old "usual" spot to leave notes at FCR had no
      notes from anyone and appears not to be used for this purpose anymore.
      Is there a new spot or tape that is not widely publicized?

      Cheers,
      Don Roberson
      Pacific Grove CA
    • Koonce, Sandy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
        In answer to Don's questions below: the page for Inyo/Mono birds is at

        http://esaudubon.org/birds/

        As far as where birds are reported in Southern California, it seems that
        most sightings are reported to the various email lists (e.g.,
        inlandcountybirds, kerncobirding, LaCoBirds) and not to the SoCal BirdBox.
        The latter seems to be reserved, for the most part, either for good reports
        from near the coast or for super-rarities from inland. This is not to say
        that there is any agreed-upon etiquette (to my knowledge) that the BirdBox
        is supposed to be used this way; rather, this is how people seem to be using
        the BirdBox these days. It's very different from the BirdBox in the Bay
        Area, which seems to have most birds of interest.

        Sandy

        Sandy Koonce
        Department of Mathematics
        University of Redlands, Redlands, CA 92373
        sandy_koonce@...