Re: Unusual concentration of Caspian Terns on Catalina Island

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27 7:08 PM
      Paul

      I have seen the photo. It is clear that the species involved is Caspian
      Tern, however, there are only three birds in the picture she sent me. She may
      have a wider angle view with all 22 but I'm not sure. Feel free to contact her
      for more details at lscesh@.... When she contacted me originally about
      her sighting, I made sure to caution her about the ID issues with ROYT, and
      that ROYT is the expected species. She studied and photographed the birds
      again in subsequent days, and came to the same (and correct) conclusion that they
      were Caspian Terns. In addition, these birds, a roost of 20, were noted by
      Jeff N. Davis and Rob Hansen on 15 May. I'm sure it's a good, and astounding,
      record.

      thanks

      Brian Sullivan

      Hi Brian:

      Angela from the Santa Catalina Island Conservancy mentioned to me last week
      that there was a concentration of Caspian Terns being seen at Santa Catalina
      Island during the past month.  As you know this is a very unusual sighting for
      this species on the Channel Islands.  Before this record is accepted, it will
      be important to obtain additional details (photos, and/or written descriptions)
      regarding this unusual sighting.  Have you actually seen the photos that
      Lilly Cesh has taken of these birds?  If so, what did you think of the species ID?
      I will contact Lilly directly to see if she can send me additional
      descriptive details in order to properly evaluate this sighting.

      Paul Collins

      Brian L. Sullivan
      PRBO Conservation Science
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA
      92108